Home > China Travel Planning

Chinese Visa

Visa is a permit issued by the government-authorized department (usually the consulate or the embassy) to the foreigners who apply to enter and exit through the country following the national laws and regulations.

The international law and the convention stipulate that any sovereign country is entitled to decide whether to allow foreigners to enter or exit its country (or border). It's also up to the destination country whether to issue a visa, refuse a visa, or revoke the issued visas in accordance with the national laws. Therefore, the Chinese consulates or embassies have the right to decide which type of Chinese visa to issue, the frequency of visa issuance, the validity, length of stay, refusal of the Chinese visa application, and revoking of the already issued Chinese visa.

Issuing Authority

The overseas Chinese Embassies, Consulates, or other agencies abroad entrusted by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs are responsible for issuing entry Chinese Visa for foreigners. Foreigners who meet the provisions of Article 20th of the Exit-Entry Administration Law of the People's Republic of China can apply for a Chinese visa at the port entrusted by the State Council or Ministry of Public Security.

Types of Chinese Visa

Visa Type



For people who visit China for exchange, official visit, exploration, and other activities.


For people visiting China for commercial purposes.


For people who travel to China.


For those who 1) are a member of a Chinese family or foreign family with Chinese permanent residence and plan to visit China for a family reunion; 2) apply for residence in China due to foster care, and the length of duration must exceed 180 days.

"Family member" mentioned above refers to spouses, parents, children, spouses of the children, siblings, grandparents, grandchildren, or in-law parents.


For people who have their family members either Chinese citizen or foreigner with permanent residence in China and want to visit them for a short period, and the length of stay is less than 180 days.


1) For those who intend to visit the foreigners working or studying in China and appliers must be spouses, parents, children under 18, or parents-in-law the visited.

2) Other foreigners who need to stay in China for private affairs.

The length of stay must exceed 180 days.


1) For those who intend to visit their family members who are foreigners working or studying in China;

2) For people who need to stay in China for personal matters.

The intended duration of stay must be less than 180 days.

"Family member" mentioned above refers to spouses, parents, children, spouses of the children, siblings, grandparents, grandchildren, or in-law parents.


For people who intend to work in China, including for commercial performance.


For people who need to transit in China.


1) International stewards of aircraft, trains, and ships;

2) Crew members of international aircraft;

3) Seamen of international cruises or ships and their accompanying family members;

4) Drivers engaging in cross-border transport activities.


For those who intend to study in China for more than 180 days.


For those who intend to study in China for less than 180 days.


For high-level talents or professional personnel urgently needed in China.


For foreign journalists of foreign news organizations stationed in China. The length of stay can exceed 180 days.


For foreign journalists intending to have short-term interviews in China and the duration of stay must not exceed 180 days.


For those who intend to reside in China permanently.

About Chinese Visa


The validity of the Chinese visa refers to the valid time range for visa holders to visit China. It takes effect from the date of issuance and expires at 00:00 (Beijing Time) on the day of expiration.

Duration of Each Stay

It refers to the duration limit you are allowed to stay in China every time, starting from the next day of your entry.


It refers to the number of times you can enter China. No matter you used up the entries or not, you need to renew your visa as long as your Chinese visa expires. Otherwise, you will be denied entry.

Residence Permit

Those who hold the D, J1, Q1, S1 and X1 types of Chinese visa need to apply for a residence permit at the exit and entry management agencies of the public security organs in the county or higher administrations they intend to stay within 30 days of their entry.

Those who hold the W type of Chinese visa must apply for the residence permit in the Chinese embassy or the department of local foreign affairs entrusted by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs within 30 days of their entry.

Visa on Arrival

Port visa is applied in some Chinese ports for foreigners who
1) temporarily decide to take the invitation from China and participate in the trade fair in China;
2) take the invitation from Chinese agencies or companies to participate in bidding or formally sign an economic and trade contract;
3) come to supervise the imported or exported package or participate in the contract inspection and acceptance by convention;
4) are invited to install equipment or do some repair work;
5) are requested by China to solve the claim problem;
6) are invited to offer scientific and technological consultation;
7) already have a Chinese visa but need to temporarily renew or prolong with the consent from China;
8) visit critical patients or handle funerals;
9) can't leave China by their original plane within 24 hours due to the irresistible reasons or need to change to other transportation to leave China.
10) don't have time to apply for a China visa due to the short notice from China, but have the letters from the designated department that allow them to apply for a Chinese visa at ports;

Entry ports offering the Visa Application service: Beijing, Shanghai, Tianjin, Dalian, Fuzhou, Xiamen, Xian, Guilin, Hangzhou, Kunming, Guangzhou (Baiyun Airport), Shenzhen (Luohu and Shekou), Zhuhai, Haikou, Sanya, Qingdao, Weihai and Yantai.

Read More About

How to Apply for a China Visa

Visa-Free Travel to China